Of course, here on Tumblr and in the feminist blogosphere in general, there is a lot of talk about the importance of self care- and I couldn’t agree more! You have to put your own needs first and there’s no way to be an effective activist if your own needs are not being met. You deserve to have time for yourself and recharge!
But, a lot of the suggestions I’ve come across can be expensive, like going out to dinner or with friends, shopping, going on a trip, or even going to a yoga class (which you often need a gym membership for or have to pay anywhere from $10-30 dollars for an individual class).
Self-care shouldn’t be costly though and there are many things you can do to take care of yourself on the cheap.
Here are 20 self-care practices that you can try for free:
1. Take a long walk
2. Meditate. Here are some free guided meditations.
4. Take a long bath or shower
5. Spend the afternoon at the library
6. Relax at the park
7. Go for a run
8. Clean your house or apartment.
9. Have a dance party in your living room
10. Go to a farmers market and try some free samples
11. Take a nap
12. Spend a day at the beach
13. Go to bed early
14. Cook something using whatever you already have in your kitchen
15. Explore a new part of town
16. Download some free apps
17. Call a friend or relative you haven’t spoken to in a while
18. Give yourself a compliment
19. Organize something
20. Create something
What kind of self-care practices do you do that cost nothing?